Now that Game of Thrones has officially been renewed for Season 3 (no surprise there), rumors are surfacing that auditions for the next season have begun in London. The fan siteWinter Is Comingclaims to have some insider scoop on which roles producers are looking to fill, and which actors are supposed frontrunners.
A commenter on the fan site says that “they are casting Shireen Baratheon. They are looking for an 11-year-old girl. Hundreds of young actresses have already been seen. Auditions happened in London about two weeks ago, recalls to come.” In the books, Shireen is the only heir to Stannis and his wife. (Remember how Melisandre mocked Stannis’ sickly wife for being unable to produce a son in Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 4: “Garden of Bones”?)
Also rumored is the casting of Daario Naharis, the blue-haired mercenary who falls for Daenerys Targaryen. A source who claims to have seen the casting breakdown says, “The producers are looking for ‘any ethnicity, except Caucasian.’”
Finally, another Twitter source says, “I was told by an agent that Norwegian actor Kristofer Hivju is auditioning for an unknown role.” Winter Is Coming suggests that Kristofer must be auditioning for Tormund Giantsbane, the white-haired raider of wildings north of The Wall.
It’s been reported that, since Book 3 (A Storm of Swords) contains so much material, the content of the book will be split over Game of Thrones Seasons 3 and 4. So, if these casting rumors are veritable, fans of the books should get an idea of how quickly the story will move over the course of Season 3.
- HBO Releases ‘Game Of Thrones’ New Character List For Season Three (screencrave.com)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ scoop: Season 3 character list revealed – EXCLUSIVE (insidetv.ew.com)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 2 Finale to Run Ten Extra Minutes, New Character List Revealed for Season 3 (slashfilm.com)
- Game of Thrones Renewed for Season 3 (tv.com)
- How Fresh Blood Will Invigorate Game of Thrones (wired.com)